Designation: Director,Rural Development Division
Contact No: Phone: 2548201-15 Ext: 116
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Division: Rural Development
Office: JSS Mahavidyapeetha, Mysore
|Qualification||M Sc Ph.D|
|Specilization||Plant Breeding, Genetics & Seed Technology|
As Director(Rural Development): JSS Mahavidyapeetha, Mysore 570004
As Chairman of:
- ICAR Committee for 12th Plan “FARMER FIRST” Project-GOI
- Quinquennial Review Team, Directorate of Seed Research, ICAR, Mao, Varanashi,UP
- ICAR Awards committee, GOI, for 2004. 2006. 2008, 2009, 2010,2011
- Research Coordination Committee(national), Central Silk Board, GOI
- Sharad Krishi editorial committee- Kannada Quarterly Magazine, Pune
- Expert Group on Sgricultral biotechnology, Government of Karnataka
As President of:
Forum of Former Vice Chancellors of Karnataka State Universities Bengaluru
As Member of:
- Karnataka State University review commission, Government of Karnataka
- Karnataka State Biotech Vision Group, Bengaluru-GOK
- National Advisory Board on Management of Genetic Resources, ICAR, New Delhi -GOI
- Board of Management, Rajmate Sindhiya Krishivishvavidyalay, Gwalior, MP
- Governing Board, Centre for Human Genetics, (GOI & GOK),Electronic City, B’lore
- Trustee, TA Pai Management Institute, Manipal, Udupi Dt, Karnataka
- Trustee, AME Foundation, Bangalore
- Selection Board, Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board, GOI, New Delhi
- Karnataka Government RFD member for Rural Development, Animal Husbandry and Cooperation departments.
- NAAS Committee for Political Understanding of Science, National Academy of Agricultral Sciences, New Delhi
Editor/ Chairman of:
- Krishi Kayaka, quarterly, published by ABVM, Sadashivanagara, Bangalore
- Sharad Krishi – Director, CITA, Pune
Associate Editor of: Journal of Science of Food & Agriculture, USA
- National Academy of Agricultural Sciences
- Indian Society of Genetics & Pl Breeding
- National Academy of Sericultural Sciences
- Indian Society of Seed Technologists
- Indian Science Writers Association
- Indian Academy of Biological Sciences
- Task Force of DBT, GOI, Parthenium-Its utility and Management, New Delhi.
- ICAR Awards Committee, GOI, for 2004. 2006. 2008, 2009, 2010
- Research Advisory Committee, Central Institute for Research on Jute & Allied Fibers, Kolkata
- Research Advisory Committee, Central Potato Research Institute, ICAR, GOI, Simla.
- Research Advisory Committee, Directorate of Oilseeds Research, ICAR, Hyderabad
- Policy, Planning and Programme Committee, PPV & FR Authority, GOI, N. Delhi
- Research Advisory Committee, CSRTI, Central Silk Board (two terms)
- Research Advisory Committee, Directorate of Seed Research, ICAR, Mau. U P.
- Research Advisory Committee, ICAR Research Complex, Goa
- Research Advisory Committee Central Rice Research Institute ICAR, Cuttack, Orissa.
- Research Advisory Committee, Directorate of Rice Research, ICAR,Hyd. (2 terms),A P.
- Research Advisory Committee, Central Tobacco Research Institute, ICAR, Rajamundhry, A P.
- QRT team for Tobacco, ICAR, Rajahmundry, A P.
- QRT team for National Research Centre for Cashew, ICAR, Puttur, Karnataka.
- QRT & RAC, Directorate of Rice Research, ICAR, Hyderabad A P.
- RAC, Directorate of Biological Control, ICAR, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- RAC, KSSRDI, Thalaghattapura, GOK, Bangalore.
- Member,Karnataka State Higher Education Council, Bengaluru
- Member, Executive committee,Karnataka State Higher Education Council,
Dr. M. Mahadevappa was also a member of many committees-GOI and organizations – Planning Commission, ICAR, CSIR, Central Silk Board, Indian Indo-American Chamber of Commerce etc, Asian Institute of Rural Development, WTO Cell Karnataka, Karnataka State Planning Board, Bangalore-GOK,and many others.
Prof. Mahadevappa developed a biological eco-friendly Integrated Parthenium Weed Management (IPWM) Technology, a boon for curtailing Parthenium menace.
Considering one of his prestigious rice varieties ‘Intan’ alone bred for the ‘hilly agro climatic zone’ of Karnataka, the economic value of contribution in terms of additional income accrued to the state exchequer is at least Rs. 355 crores ever since the release of this variety during 1972.
As a Visiting Rice Breeder at the International Rice Research Institute, Manila, Philippines, for two and a half years, Professor Mahadevappa presented his research papers and had academic interactions with scientists in 21 nations who in turn were richly benefited from his experience and expertise.
Professor Mahadevappa contributed immensely for the overall development of the University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad as its Vice Chancellor for two terms (1994-2000) each With his broad vision, he strived hard selflessly resulting in confer of the ICAR’s “SARDAR PATEL OUSTANDING INSTITUTION AWARD FOR 2000” for UAS Dharwad.
In recognition of his scientific contributions, potentials in research and academic administration and institution building activities, the Government of India chose him to be the Chairman of the Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB), New Delhi in 2001. Ever since his assumption to this high office, he brought transparency in recruitment and expedited the process of academic promotions by following recommendations of the Parliamentary Committee. This brought laurels to Professor Mahadevappa as the builder and up grader of talented human resources to serve the ICAR system and for having encouraged scientists and other employees of the Council to further contribute to the cause of agriculture and farming community.
Besides the above, after retirement, he has been serving as Director (Rural Dev.) in JSS MahavidyaPeetha, Mysore, a reputed NGO with 340 institutions in four countries. He has implemented the novel ‘seed village’ concept with the support of Rural Development Ministries of Centre and State Governments which provided long term sustained employment to upgrade the socio -economic status of BPL farmers. Between 2005 and 2009 the project established (a) to cover 422 villages in 25 districts for seed processing and storage, (b) 50 nurseries in 50 villages of 12 Districts to produce horticulture and forestry species and (c) Establishing 20 commercial silkworm chawki Rearing Centres in 8 districts of Karnataka State. In the second phase (2010 to 2014) the extended project comprising of six seed processing Units in six districts involving 1200 farm families, 40 shade net houses for producing vegetables involving 800 farm families and 300 value addition units ( for agricultural crops) involving 600 farm families is nearing completion. Over-all, 7633 farm families have been benefitted from this special project. This has released the dependence of farmers for timely and quality seed requirement either on government or private agencies.
Prof. Mahadevappa has published 200 research articles in addition to 31 papers presented in International conferences. He has written 25 books and translated three Several reputed organizations have recognized Professor Mahadevappa’s rich contributions for the cause of agriculture and the farming community. He was conferred the coveted (International) Hooker Award (1981) and Sir Chotturam National Award. The Karnataka State conferred the Rajyotsava Award in 1984.Watumull Foundation Award (1987),In addition he was conferred the Nagamma Dattathreya Award by UAS, Bangalore, and Parisara Ratna Award and Bharatha Rathna Sir M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award (1999). It He has been honored with LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD by 1.Agriculture Today (2009) Indian Society of Applied Biotechnology (2010). Indian Society of Agricultural Extension (2011) and many more.Karnataka Kalpavriksha Prshasthi-2012 by Kalpavriksha Trust, Mysore;Lt Amit SinghMemorial Foundation Life Time Achievement Award,2013; and many more.Prof. Mahadevappa was recognized by President of India by awarding “Padmashri”in 2005 and Padmabhushan in 2014.
Hailing from a farmer’s family, Prof. Mahadevappa has all along his service been in close touch with the farmers. He served as Scientist, Professor and also in various other capacities in the University. He was Vice-Chancellor, UAS, Dharwad, Karnataka, for two terms and also the Chairman, Agricultural Scientist Recruitment Board, ICAR, GOI, wherein, his performance was applauded by the farmers, scientists and the Government. His contributions have earned him several state, national and international participations and many prestigious awards like Padmashri(2005 and Padmabhushan(2014).He has been also recognized by a number of reputed National organizations for his Life Time achievements(LTA) like Agriculture-Today, National Scientific Academies and Societies.
He served as a member of Rice Study Team set up by the then National Commission on Agriculture, and also a member of the Task Force of the National Commission on Women. A farmer’s service center called “Raitha Seva Kendra” – A single window information system was conceived and started by him when he was Vice-Chancellor at UAS, Dharwad, in 1994. Looking into its success, the ICAR constituted a Committee under his Chairmanship to suggest the feasibility and also the model to establish “Agricultural Information Technology Centre” (ATIC) in State Agricultural Universities. The model prepared by the committee was very successful and all SAU’s, with the support of ICAR, have established ATIC.
He keeps publishing popular and technical articles in many languages in an effective way to reach the farmers. Besides, he has published 25 books including prize winning Poems authored by him both in English and Kannada, which have largely benefited the farmers, extension workers, scientists and students.
During his term as Vice-Chancellor, UAS, Dharwad, won the Best Institution Award and also won the NSS Award at the National level. As the Chairman of the Agricultural Scientist Recruitment Board, ICAR, he cleared the back logs of both promotions and recruitments in a record period without even a single observation from any corner.
With his close interaction with the farming communities, the Agricultural Universities, developmental departments and the policy makers, both in India and abroad, he will be able to contribute effectively in the interactions and deliberations of any BODY at the state or national level. He has worked in so many committees and Task forces as chairman or member and some of them are listed in the attachment for reference.
I therefore, nominate that Prof. M.Mahadevappa be considered while submitting Nominations to various bodies in Karnataka .